25 February 2009

The Phenom Known as "Terry"

For the next few weeks or until I run out of friends I'm going to examine each of my life-long friendships in an attempt to thank each of the friends who have made my life as wonderful as it is. They aren't going to be in any order, not because one is loved more than the other, just random and about whoever I feel ike talking about that day.

This first writing is about my friend Terry.He is the dude on the right looking somewhat puzzled. The dude on the left is Scott. Now if you knew Terry and Scott you would say that this is a great depiction of any conversation that might occur between these two and you'd laugh just as I did when I saw it. It's SO typical. Terry is very smart, very business savvy and very bright. He's extremely successful and has seen most of the world thru both his business and personal ventures. I admire him greatly and I live vicariously thru him.


I don't know how I haven't written about my dear dear friend Terry before. Truly I could write every single day about his life, his escapades and his travels and you'd all be amazed at how he goes thru life, truly blessed and almost charmed. He has more charisma than anyone you'll ever meet but he's the most down-home guy that God ever made! Really he is!

Terry is that great looking guy that every girl wants on her arm, he's the super great friend that all guys hope to have for a lifetime, he's the loving dad that all kids dream of having. Terry is just an all-around great guy! He's almost too good to be true... He's just Terry and everything he does is indicative of the quality of friendship he has to offer you. I met Terry when he was a mere 16 years old. I think I was 19 a the time. I remember thinking "damn that is the cutest guy I've ever seen in my life" and the infatuation has never ended.

When I met Terry he was at work in the kitchen of the local L&K restaurant outside Mt. Sterling Ohio. Terry was still a high school student and probably by far the most popular guy in the school, probably in the town. I wondered what on earth he would want in a friend like me. Here I was, this 1/2 Japanese, 1/2 American, fully fat girl that never had turned an eye, let alone an eye like Terrys. The thought of ever having Terry was a distant dream but I dared to dream it, I did.... Terry could have and probably did have all the girls in school. He had an arsenal of pictures an stories of all the girls that wanted to be with him but yet he befriended me and ended up spending quite a bit of time with me. I never did figure it out... why me? We had fun together, me and Terry and all his friends. We went out, we partied and we had a good time. Maybe that was it, I was fun. We all went down to Daytona Beach a few times for spring break and we were great friends. Just always after a fun time!

During all those years of friendship, I loved him. I really loved him. Deep down in my soul I saw this guy who was the most handsome and perfect guy. I just wanted to be with him. I knew in my heart it would never be, that "I" would never been good enough to be with Terry like a girlfriend, wife or SO but that didnt stop me from loving him.

I dont know at what point that love changed to a love from friendship but when it did I found myself with one of the most profound friendships ever to be had. Here I am almost 49 years old and he's been one of my best friends for 30 years. That is an incredible feat, to be able to maintain a friendship for 30 years. I live in Ohio, he is now living in Canada and I know that he is still one of the best friends I'll ever have and if I need him, he would be here in a heartbeat.

Terry is very charismatic. People are just drawn to him. You can't help but be, you can't help but love him. He can talk to anyone, he can be a part of any conversation and fit right in. He doesn't think he's better or lower than anyone and he has no aspirations of greatness. He is just who he is. Humble, loving, friendly and charmed. He wins so much crap you'd think he had a lucky charm. Things just happen to Terry and we're always amazed to listen to the stories.

To this day, I still love this man, this friend who has been with me thru thick and thin, thru good times and bad, thru sickness and health, thru poor times and riches.. no never as my partner, SO or husband, but as my dear, loving and genuine friend. He is awesome and anyone who has the opportunity to meet him is really lucky! I know my life is much better because of this man and I do not know what I would do if Terry wasnt a pat of my life! I hope I never know.

How many of us are lucky enough to carry friendships around like that for our entire adult lives? I have been so blessed, not just by this friendship but by a few long, happy and great friendships. Some days I struggle with what to write in this blog but now I know I have to write about each of those wonderful friendships and to tell each of those people what they've given to me in my life, tell them and the world how special they've all been in my and how they have changed my life, have made my life what it is today.

People come and go in our lives. I have had a lot of people come and go but the true friendships I've acquired are still with me and this writing is just one portrayal. In the weeks to come, I'll examine each of those friendships and thank each of those friends for the love, laughter, joy and friendship they've given me.

I hope you'll enjoy reading about my friendships, about all the things I've been thru with some of them and believe me we've been thru some stuff. Tomorrow I'll start out by talking about some of my experiences with Terry and we'll just take off from there!!
Til then have a great day!!

1 comment:

Lumina said...

Wow, so nice... my bbf's an ex but we met around the same age u met Terry... a lovely post for ur friend... :) thank you for sharing :)

hugs,
Maizzy